Saturday, August 17, 2013

Now this is fornication! The newest irregular newsletter; getting one if you didn't

A story is told of a little boy who came home from school and proudly said, "I spelled a word right on a test and I didn't even know what it means."

"Well, I'm very proud of you," his mother said, "What's the word?"

"Fornication!  So what does it mean?"

"Uh, ask your dad."

So he goes to his father and says, "I spelled a word right on a test and I didn't even know what it means."

"Bravo! Well done!," his father said, "And what was that word?"

"Fornication!  So what does it mean?"

"Uh, ask, um, you know, I bet grandpa would know.  Why don't you go upstairs and ask him?" He figures this will be safe because Grandpa is an old immigrant with limited English.

So the little boy goes up to grandpa's room, and Grandpa says, "Ya, ya, good to see ya little one, ya, you gon' school, you get smart, ya?"

"Very smart. I spelled a word and I don't know what it means and I don't think Mama or Daddy do, either."

"This word, it would be what?"

"Fornication."

"Oh, yeah, yeah, I show you, I show you so you see.  Come over here by my closet."  He takes out a plain blue suit.  "You see, this, this is what they mean when they say for everyday. Everyday is like, day you just do what you do every day, you got?  But this ... " He takes out a splendid black three-piece with gold buttons, "... now, this is fornication!"

As it happens, my occasional newsletter has had occasion to come out, and on this occasion, contains some occasional news about me, some deals for collectors, and a long essay about a fairly big careerish/future books event that I'll be talking about here later on when the time comes.  So since the newsletter is something I only do fornication, I did it for this occasion.

If you either never asked for it (subscriptions are free, just email me at the link over to the side) or you didn't get yours (possibly a changed email or some such?) if you drop me a note anytime in the next week or so, I'll send you a copy and put you on the mailing list.